Air mattress is one of the most user-friendly items that help you get comfortable anywhere as they are easy to carry around and set up. Unfortunately, leakage is a common problem with air mattresses as they are made of PVC or fabric.
This issue can happen due to a long time of use or if the mattress is poked with a pointy or sharp object. Moreover, punctured air mattress issues can happen more frequently if you have kids or pets in the house. And if not fixed on time, the leakage or tear can extend over time.
That’s where air mattress repair kits come in handy. But there are so many such kits in the market, making it challenging to pick one.
Over the last several months, I used a few kits, and some of them turned out to be highly effective. So today, I decided to review my favourite ones to help you pick the best air mattress repair kit.
In A Hurry? The Winner After 3 Days Of Research:
Considering the repair kit type and effectiveness, my top pick from the best air mattress repair kit is the Pool Above Heavy Duty Vinyl Repair Patch Kit.
Why Is Better?
- The patches are made with fabric, and 1100 denier reinforced vinyl coated
- The patches measure 3-inch each, making them large enough to cover any tear
- The glue is durable and effective to seal the leaks immediately
- The repair kit is reusable
- The cement tube is 30 ml, which is more than enough
- It comes with 8 patches, making it suitable for covering several areas
- The glue and patches work underwater and do not wear off
Choosing The Best Air Mattress Repair Kit: Features To Consider
What qualities make one air mattress repair kit different from another? You will find the answer in the features and formulas they come with. To make things easier, I have discussed what you need to consider and look for before purchasing any air mattress repair kit.
Air mattress repair kits offer various repair methods. But it is up to the users to choose a type based on their requirement and whether or not it is a small puncture or a big hole. The options you will find are:
- Direct Application: This type of repair kit comes with glue that you apply directly to the damage. You will not need any patching to fix the problem. Direct applications work mostly on minor punctures and holes.
- Adhesive And Patch: This method requires applying adhesive around the hole or tear and patching it. Such kit packages usually come with glue or adhesive, an applicator, and multiple patches.
- Peel And Patch: The easiest yet reliable repairing method is peel and patch. They are more like stickers, making the job more simple. You only have to peel off the backing and stick the patch where you want to repair it.
Does the package come with everything you need? Most air mattress repair kits come with a few essential accessories, such as an adhesive, patches, applicator, deflating tubes, etc. All of them together make the repairing job quick and hassle-free.
The material of the repairing patches is very important. Since air mattresses are made with PVC or fabric, you will need the type of material that matches your mattress’s quality.
The good thing is almost all the repair patches are made of durable PVC or TPU materials. PVC is reliable and long-lasting, that is for sure. On the other hand, TPU is more resistant to tear and puncture than PVC.
If you don’t want the patches to stand out and ruin the look of your air mattress, I suggest you purchase a repair kit that comes with colour patch options. There are plenty of brands that manufacture patches of various colours so that users can find the right match.
But there is one more option for you if you cannot find the one with a suitable colour. You can use transparent patches. They are even better and hard to notice once you patch up the damaged area.
You don’t want to wait for a long time for the adhesive to dry and heal so that you can use your air mattress. That’s why it is best to choose an option that will dry quickly and effectively.
If you need to fix the mattress urgently, it is best to go with peel and patch repair kits. They usually become usable around half an hour after patching. But if you want something more durable, you need to consider adhesive or glue options.
Glues contain chemicals, and it is natural for them to have a strong odour. Though the odour might not be acute enough to cause any issue, it is best to maintain a certain distance to avoid inhaling them.
Stronger glues with acute odour can cause headaches and other issues. So make sure to purchase a kit that comes with non-toxic glue with no strong smell.
Talking about non-toxic glue, safety should also be a priority. Not all chemicals the repair glues contain are safe for us, especially when they come in direct contact with our skin. But it is difficult to say which glue is safer and which isn’t.
So the best solution is to take extra precautions when working on them. You can wear safety gloves and a mask to avoid getting glues on your skin and inhaling fumes.
Some of us like to use our small air mattress as a pool float. No, there is nothing wrong with it. However, if you want to take your fixed mattress or float in water, you need to ensure the repair patch is waterproof.
The good thing is most repair patches are waterproof and do not get damaged easily. But to make sure you have applied the patches correctly, make sure to clean the damaged area properly before repairing it.
Air mattress repair kits do not cost a lot. But you will see some differences in price range as it depends on brands, number of accessories, quality and more.
The ones from popular brands and high-performing quality usually cost more than low-quality ones. Nevertheless, it will still be an affordable option for you.
How To Find Leaks In An Air Mattress
You cannot fix a leak in your air mattress if you cannot find it. And not knowing where the leak is can be really stressful.
So is there a way to find the leaks without going through much trouble? Yes, there is, and you can follow these instructions to do that.
Method 1: Using Soapy Water
Here is how you can find leaks in an air mattress by using soapy water.
- Fill a bucket with water and add dish soap to it. The amount of dish soap should be enough to help create bubbles when stirred.
- Spread your mattress in an open area so that it becomes easier to work on it or move it around.
- Then inflate the mattress to its full capacity, but not overdo it. Inflating the mattress like that will create air pressure around the leaks and help identify them easily. On the other hand, if you over-inflate it, it can widen the tear or leak.
- Make sure there are no electric items around the bedding.
- Submerge a sponge in the soapy water you have prepared and slowly work over the mattress in straight lines.
- Add light pressure when doing it so that the air comes out of the leaks. If there is a leakage where you are wiping, you will notice bubbles forming in the soapy water.
- Use this process on every part of the mattress. And when you find the leakage, you can mark them using tapes.
Method 2: Using Tissue Paper
If you don’t want to go through the previous process, try this tissue paper trick.
- Place your mattress on a flat, open area and inflate it as I have described in method one.
- Place tissue paper on an area and press on the mattress. If there is a big leak, the tissue paper will move a little. You may also hear a hissing sound as the air comes out of the leaks if they are small.
- Check the edges and seams carefully, as these areas are more prone to leaks.
- Use a tape or marker to mark the leaks, and tears.
Method 3: Listen Closely
Finding the leaks or tears with your eyes is pretty challenging. But it is easier to find them by leakage sound.
- Choose a silent room to work on your mattress and inflate it.
- You can ask someone to help you with this task.
- After you have inflated the mattress, put your ear on an area of the mattress and ask your assistant to press on that area.
- Pressing will help force the air out through the leaks and you can use a marker to identify them later.
Method 4: Use Your Hand
Here is one more effective method to help
- Inflate the air mattress in an open and quiet room.
- Now place your hand palm down around ¼-inch or ½-inch above the mattress and press around the area with your other hand.
- You will be able to feel the air release through the tears or leaks.
Method 5: Use Baby Powder
Using baby powder to find air mattress leaks is also an effective and fun method.
- As usual, you need to find a suitable place to lay the mattress and inflate it to its highest level.
- Then spread some baby powder on the surface of the mattress.
- After that, press on the mattress, following a pattern to find the holds.
- The powder over the leaked areas will become cloudy when the pressure releases air through them.
How To Fix Leaks On Air Mattress
Now comes the most important question: how do you fix leaks on an air mattress? It depends on what method you are using and whether you are using a kit to fix it or homemade things.
Since I am discussing the best air mattress repair kit, I will describe a step-by-step guideline on how to fix leaks using the repair kits. So follow the instructions below to do it correctly after you have found the leaks.
Things You Will Need
- Air mattress repair kit
- Clean rag
- All-purpose cleaner
Step 1: Clean The Area
Dirt and dust will prevent the adhesive from sticking and adhering to the mattress. So the first thing you need to do is clean the area thoroughly to ensure no particles are left. You have to clean at least two to three inches around each leak or hole.
First, dilute the all-purpose cleaner in a bowl or container and scrub around the area. Then use a clean rag to wipe the areas so that there is no cleaner or bubbles left. Wait for the mattress to dry completely.
Step 2: Cut Patches Into Right Sizes
Whether your air mattress has a small leak or a large tear, it is essential to measure it before you prepare the patches. Repair patches come in various sizes.
So after you measure the damaged area, cut the patches with a scissor, leaving at least half on each side. This will help seal the areas without the risk of the leaks reappearing anytime soon.
Step 3: Apply Adhesive
You will also get an applicator in the pack, which will come in handy to apply the adhesive. You can do it in two ways.
You can pour some glue around the leaking area. Use the applicator to spread it based on the size of the patch. And the other method is to pour some glue around the edges and use the applicator to spread them properly.
Step 4: Patch It Up
After you have applied the adhesive as you wanted, wait for it to dry a little before putting the patch over the leak or tear. Experts often suggest applying a second adhesive layer to strengthen the bond.
After you notice the glue drying a little, carefully place the patch over the leak and press the edges with your fingers and palms. If the patches end up becoming wrinkly, you can iron them out using warm water. You can use a rag to wipe the patched areas to remove any remaining glue.
Step 5: Wait For It To Dry
Even though the glue will dry shortly after patching up the leaks, it will still be vulnerable and can come off easily. So it is advisable to wait for at least 12 to 24 hours before you use the air mattress.
The 3 Best Air Mattress Repair Kit Reviews
From all the air mattress repair kit options you will find in the market, only a handful will turn out to be effective. So let’s not go through all the hassles and waste time because I have selected some of the best ones to review today. Check out the following reviews and see if they seem suitable based on your requirements.
Best Value: Pool Above Heavy Duty Vinyl Repair Patch Kit
You do not want to spend a lot of money on a repair kit, tight? On top of that, no one wants to end up with a cheap-quality kit just because it came at a low price.
That’s why you need the Pool Above Heavy Duty Vinyl Repair Patch Kit. This company offers a vast range of colour options with several patches with repair kits.
Features And Benefits
- Vinyl Repair Patch: This repair kit pack comes with 8 vinyl patches to repair leaks and tears in your air mattress. These are 1000 denier reinforced vinyl coated fabric, meaning they are suitable for fixing any time of air mattress without any difficulties. As the patches are 3-inches in size, you will have to measure the size of the tears before fixing them with the patches.
- Ease Of Use: Repairing tears with this Pool Above repair kit is pretty simple. You need to clean the area first and measure it to check if the patch will cover it. Then apply the glue with the applicator it comes with and stick the patch on the area. It is best to wait 24 hours before using the air mattress after repair.
- Color Option: You have an air mattress of bright or deeper color and are worried about not getting a patch that matches the color? Well, this is where the Pool Above Heavy Duty Vinyl Repair Patch Kit steps in. It comes with 18 different colors options to help you find the right patch pack that matches your mattress’s color.
- Effectiveness: This vinyl repair kit comes with durable patches with heavy-duty glue. You can use it to fix pools, rafts, and other types of air mattresses. It will work fine even underwater without having any risk of wearing off.
- Value: Another significant reason I picked this patch repair kit is its price. Compared to its performance, the price is not very high. I would say it is one of the value-worthy air mattress repair kits you will find in the market. On top of that, they can last a pretty long time without requiring any repatch.
- Budget-friendly price
- Comes with various color options to choose from
- Comes with necessary repair kits
- Easy to use
- It even works underwater
- The tube comes with enough glue for reuse
- Needs to wear a safety mask as it can cause a respiratory issue
- Could have been more flexible
You can clearly see why I called it the best value air mattress repair kit. It is easy to use and is effective for multiple tear repairs. This kit does not possess any health risks, but it is better to take precautions before using any such glue.
Best Hole Repair: Boxer Clear Adhesives
If you would rather choose a transparent patch to fix the leaks or tears of your air mattress, here is a suitable option for you. It is a low-price adhesive that offers a strong bond. Other than the glue, you will get two transparent patches to fix your mattress.
Features And Benefits
- Strong Adhesive: While most adhesives are suitable for light work, this Boxer adhesive is made to work like the powerful Gorilla Glue. Once you apply it to any surface for bonding, it will begin to take effect in no time. You can apply it directly on the air mattress, wood, or PVC items.
- Patch Size: One of the good sides of this glue kit is the patch size. It comes with two patches measuring 5”×4”, making them suitable for repairing small holes to large tears. Moreover, the patches are transparent and will not look odd after fixing the mattress.
- Ease Of Use: It is so much easier to fix punctures, holes, and tears in your air mattress with this adhesive and patch kit. If it is just a puncture, you can fix it just by applying a few drops of glue without using any patch. And if it is a tear or a large hold, you only need to cut the patch according to the hole’s size and patch the area after applying the glue.
- Dry Time: This Boxer Glue takes effect really fast. You will notice that the glue has begun to thicken and dry in less than a minute. But it is necessary to wait around 24 hours before using the item you have applied the glue on.
- Precaution: The glue’s smell is pretty strong. The glue is not toxic, but it is best to take precautions before applying it on any surface.
Make sure to stay away from the glue’s vapour when applying and store it away from heat and flame. And if the glue accidentally contacts your eyes, spray water in the eyes for 15 minutes or seek medical attention.
- Low-price repair kit
- Adhesive is strong and dries faster
- Easy to use and repair
- Comes with two transparent patches that are suitable to use any color
- Made in the USA and very reliable
- Suitable for waterbeds
- The glue’s vapor is harmful to inhale
- Not suitable for kids or using on children’s toys
- Does not have a removable tip
The Boxer Adhesive is one of the best air mattress repair kits at a low price and is suitable for fixing small to larger holes. The unused glue can dry quickly if you do not store it properly. And you need to ensure a safe storage space so that it does not cause any hazard.
Best Easy Apply: 10 Leccion TPU Pool Patch Repair Kit
If none of my previous picks seems suitable per your requirement, you can check out this one. I picked the 10 Leccion TPU Pool Patch Repair Kit for my best air mattress repair kit review because it is hard to miss. The TPU patches are way stronger and require minimal effort to fix any holes or punctures on air mattresses.
Features And Benefits
- Time Savvy: Most air mattress repair kit manufacturers will not care about what you want to fix. But the manufacturer of this company wants you to have a hassle-free experience. That’s why you will get two deflating tubes in the pack. It will help you deflate your pool float or air mattress in half the time it usually takes.
- Easy Patches: These are for peel and patch repair systems. You only have to peel the back and stick the patches where needed. If you get the patches wrinkled when applying, use hot water to iron for 3-4 minutes out the wrinkles. Just wait around half an hour to 40 minutes, and it will be ready for use.
- Reliability: The patches are made of TPU or Thermoplastic Polyurethane. The specialty of this material is that even if they fall in the category of plastic, they are much stronger and more durable. Sharp objects can penetrate through PVC or plastic patches. But TPU plastic scratches under force, but it does not tear easily.
- Usage: This pool patch repair kit does not just repair pool floats or air mattresses. You can use it to fix leaks in your swimming pool, floating pool or inflatable pool or raft, balls, balloons, and more other things.
- Safety: Though these patches are not for young kids, children above age 12 can use them under adult supervision. And it is best if you do not use the patches on wrinkled, folded, and wet surfaces or edges. Make sure to clean the area you need to fix before you take off the film of the patch.
- Easy peel and patch repair kits
- Comes with two deflating tubes to save time
- Works on multiple water float items
- The patches are highly reliable
- You can use the fixed item in less than an hour
- Does not last longer like adhesive patches
- Suitable for fixing small punctures and holes only
If you want to fix a large tear in your air mattress, this is not the right option for you. However, if your air mattress has a small puncture and needs an immediate solution, you can use this 10 Leccion TPU Pool Patch Repair Kit without any worry.
Frequently Asked Questions About Best Air Mattress Repair Kit
It depends on what type of air mattress you use. If you are using a PVC air mattress, it is likely to stretch due to temperature change or the way it is used. And as the mattress stretches and ends up with less air inside than required, it looks like it deflated.
The Gorilla patches and tapes are known for being super strong and waterproof, ensuring longer durability. You can fix your air mattress with Gorilla seals, but there is a major drawback. Since the Gorilla patches and tapes are too strong, removing them, if needed, without damaging your mattress will be difficult.
It is pretty unlikely for such kits to be hazardous. However, it is best to purchase repair kits from a reliable brand or those that come with safety instructions. Nevertheless, it is essential to take precautions like wearing safety gloves and masks while using the repair kits.
Conclusion – What Is The Best Air Mattress Repair Kit?
That was all for my best air mattress repair kit reviews. You can see that even if the repair job is pretty simple, choosing a suitable kit is a little challenging.
However, if you want a worth-the-deal type repair kit, I recommend you purchase the Pool Above Heavy Duty Vinyl Repair Patch Kit. It is strong, durable, and is also cost-effective.
The same goes for the Boxer Clear Adhesives, which is USA-made, making it more reliable and dries faster. But if you need a time-saving option, the 10 Leccion TPU Pool Patch Repair Kit is your easiest solution.